Would You Like to Hear About Meditation From Someone New?
What is Meditation?
Meditation is a deliberate practice and one that requires your most quiet, mindful state. The word is tossed around a lot, but you may not exactly know meditation’s actual meaning or function. If asked, I would initial picture Yoda summoning the Force. Perhaps this is a form of meditation, but we’ll leave that for the galaxy.
Though meditation varies and splinters off into different styles of practices, it begins with one specific application—calming your mind. It also (hopefully) ends with a similar goal—restoring balance. The in-between is where you can customize your practice.
Types of Meditation
- Vipassana meditation (observation of reality)
- Float tank (sensory deprivation)
- Guided meditation (instruction & response)
- Chakra meditation (personal inventory)
- Forest bathing (gentle wandering)
Benefits of Meditation
- Lowers anxiety
- Increases awareness
- Mindfulness creates control
- Being present in our bodies helps us appreciate its function
- Quarter Lotus (Burmese)
- Full Lotus
- Seated in Chair
- Lying down
- Corpse Pose (Savasana)
- Supta Baddha Konasana (Bolstered Hip Opener)
- Mindful Movement
Jamal lists several apps to help you meditate, after this introduction.
Using apps on your phone may seem like it’s defeating the purpose of detaching and focusing, but I’m liking this option. I need the incentive to stay on task and build a habit. Whether that’s a monthly payment or simply seeing the app button on my home screen, I think we could all use a boost.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are meditation and prayer the same thing?
- When is the best time of day to meditate?
- How long should I meditate?
- Should I close my eyes?
That’s the end of Jamal’s blog content. Please contact him directly with questions. Meditation 101: Practices, Postures, and Pretty Much Everything In Between.
Contact me, if you have questions for me or if you want to schedule a class or consultation.
Let’s Get Well, Stay Well, Live Well, and Change Our Lives Together Now!